The IAHD represents highway districts with a united front to the legislature and serves as a resource to its members. The Association strives to provide opportunities for members to exchange ideas, techniques, and solutions to common challenges and concerns. Members are invited and encouraged to attend regional meetings, gatherings, and the annual convention hosted by IAHD. At such events, well-respected speakers discuss legislation, legal issues, innovation to road construction, and the future of transportation in Idaho.
Benefits of membership include
- Assistance to obtain technical or legal services
- Guidance for improving management policies and practices
- Training and education on techniques and skills for road and bridge construction and maintenance
- Representation and advocacy at the Idaho Capitol to promote highway district interests
- In-depth overview of legislation concerning local roads and highway district funding
- Invitation to the IAHD Annual Convention
- Access to the Wynkoop Legal Program for cost effective phone consultations
- Eligibility for the IAHD Scholarship Fund to aid in the cost of higher education for highway district employees, children, and grandchildren
Through recent advocacy efforts the IAHD has influenced the following legislation:
- Passage of HB312, providing additional revenue for highway districts from a 7 cent gas tax increase
- Inclusion of highway districts in the surplus eliminator, resulting in a 60% / 40% split between state and local jurisdictions
- Ensuring a drafting error was corrected to appropriate and transfer surplus eliminator monies to the Strategic Initiatives Program for construction projects
- Blocking legislation that would decrease revenue for highway districts through exemption of particular business personal property taxes
The 2018-2019 IAHD Member Directory includes contact information, road mileage, and meeting dates for member highway districts. Please email email@example.com to receive a digital copy or if you would like to be mailed a hard copy of the directory in booklet form.