About the Scholarship Fund
The objective is simple: to help deserving Idaho students from predominantly underserved rural areas receive a college education.
The IAHD is fully aware that not all families can send their children to an accredited college. We also understand that our rural community populations are shrinking while our urban areas continue to see explosive growth. The effect of these competing forces is borne out as we witness our highway districts struggle for resources, a sufficient labor pool, and a tax base large enough to meet the demands put on our infrastructure. By taking an active role in creating educational opportunities for more children, the IAHD Scholarship Fund strives to have a meaningful impact on the forces working against our rural communities.
- 75% of Idaho’s school districts are classified as rural
- 20% of Idaho’s rural students are classified as minorities
- The state of Idaho ranks 50th in per pupil spending in rural school districts
- The college enrollment rate of rural Idaho high school graduates is 51%, compared to 69% nationally
- 8% decrease (from 54% to 46%) in the number of Idaho students continuing on to college since 2014
Who is eligible?
- Children and grandchildren of highway district employees and commissioners (highway district must be in good standing with and a member of the IAHD)
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Full-time or part-time students
- Enrolled in an Idaho college, university, or vocational/technical school for the 2020-2021 school year
Frequently Asked Questions
I applied for the IAHD Scholarship last year, can I again? Absolutely! All previous applicants may apply annually until their degree is obtained.
I have received the IAHD scholarship before, can I still apply? Yes, awardees may reapply until their degree is obtained. However, preference will be given to those who have not been awarded the IAHD Scholarship.
Can I email my application packet? All application packets must be complete with all required material and mailed to the IAHD office and post-marked March 31, 2020. Transcripts and letters of recommendation may be mailed separately but must be post-marked by the deadline.
The IAHD Scholarship Fund Board of Officers and Directors are proud to announce the 2020-2021 IAHD Scholarship Recipients. A total of $17,000 has been awarded to deserving young women and men with commendable academic achievements and community involvement.
How can i help?
Participate in the 2020 Online Auction
Join us from November 10-20, 2020 in bidding for great items in our online auction.
Our goal is $25,000 this year which will enable the fund to award more scholarships to eligible students.
Simply make purchases on AmazonSmile
Amazon has created a foundation, AmazonSmile, that will donate 0.5% of your purchase on eligible items to a charity of your choice! Being a charitable organization, the IAHD Scholarship Fund qualifies to receive the donations.
To receive these benefits visit smile.amazon.com and where you are asked to select a charitable organization, type in "IAHD Scholarship Fund." From then on, anytime you go to make a purchase on Amazon, visit smile.amazon.com to benefit the IAHD Scholarship Fund.